Thursday, March 27, 2014

Every Child Should Have a Pet

My family always had pets growing up and I can't my life without them. We had Guinea Pigs when I was three and, up until I was five years old, we had cats. The only reason that we had to re-home the cats is because my younger brother was allergic to them. That's when we got our first dog Abby. Well, she sort of started out being my older brother's dog but later became the whole family's dog. She was an awesome Australian Cattledog/ Kelpie mix who was extremely smart.





After Abby, we've had many other dogs and animals. Dogs, a Goat, Hamsters, Rats, Fish, a Hermit Crab, more Guinea Pigs, and a lizard. They were all amazing pets and they were there for me when I was growing up and needed a friend.

I knew when I found out I was pregnant that we were going to keep all of our animals because I wanted our child to grow up loving animals. I wasn't going to be "that person" who re-homes their animals just because they have a baby. Nope, that was not an option. I will explain why every child should grow up with at least one animal.


1) They watch over you

Okay, so maybe some animals, hamsters, fish, gerbils, etc., aren't going to be able to watch and protect you, but I will get into what they can do. I'm talking about dogs and cats. I knew growing up that our dog Abby would protect her family no matter what happened. I felt safe taking her out for a walk because I knew that she had my back. No matter the size, they are there to make sure you are always okay.










2) They are there when You are scared or upset

They see you crying and want to make sure that you're okay.




3) They are there to cuddle

You never know when you might need a flurry pillow to lay your head on. And, honestly, who hasn't felt great wrapping their arms around a fluffy animal. It's good for your heart and soul!








You still think about them, even when they aren't around. Pretend that your animal are right next to you and love them. Children are especially good at pretending animals playing with them or, in this case, sleeping with them.




Animals are family. That's what I'm teaching Zachary. You will always love your family and they will do the same. We may not share the same mother or even be the same species but we are still family.










No comments: