Monday, June 16, 2014

Baby Food: Homemade vs. Store Bought

I made the decision to make all, with the exception of rice cereal and oatmeal, of Zach's meals at home for many several reasons. Store bought is expensive for how little you get. Zachary eats a lot and I would probably be spending about $30 a week on jarred food for him, but I can make two weeks worth for about $15 by doing it at home. Also, because store bought is packaged, you don't even know when it was made. All you know is the Best If Used By date. I wanted to make fresh food for him and know when it was cooked.

I made carrots for him the other day and wanted to share what I do.

First, I peel the carrots. This was a whole bag(1 lb) of Organic Carrots from Trader Joe's. Cost: $0.79




Then, the carrots get boiled until they are tender.




I always keep about 2 days worth in the fridge whenever I make a batch. The rest gets put into the freezer. I put it inside an ice cube tray first.






Once frozen, It gets transferred to freezer bags and put back into the freezer for future use. Don't mind the rice cereal crumbs on the table. I forgot to wipe it off after I fed him.



I take them out as I need them and either let a bowlful thaw in the fridge overnight or, if I'm in a hurry, warm it up in a microwave.




No comments: