Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snow in the Northwest

Washington doesn't get a lot of snow very often, so when we do get snow, it's a big deal. The last couple of days we have had some crazy weather. Snow and Ice cover the roads and the highs are about 30 degrees fahrenheit. Last night I almost didn't make it home.

Yesterday started out like any other day. I work the morning shift on wednesdays so I left around 6am. We were not expecting too many dogs to be at daycare and we were right. We only had 14 dogs ( that's less than half of the normal amount ). So it was pretty boring all day. I left work around 3:15pm. Since the weather looked fine, I figured I would go to the pet store in Woodinville to get some more food for my guinea pig. It didn't take me very long and the skies were still clear. I knew that I would probably be stuck at home for a few days due to snow, so I decided to go to Albertson's to get a few things. I was only inside for about 12 minutes and when I got back outside the snow was really coming down. The roads were already starting to get covered up. I knew I had to get home as soon as I could. These are the times where I am so thankful to have 4-wheel drive. I knew that if I could make it up the hill on Woodinville-Duvall road, I could make it home. That would be my biggest challenge. I just followed the other cars in front of me and it was very scary seeing all the cars on the sides trying to get up the hill. I remember just wanting it all to be over and I couldn't wait to get home. It took a little over an hour to get home and I can honestly say that it was the longest 70 minutes of my life. I took some pictures before I went to bed. It wasn't too deep, maybe an inch.
When I looked outside this morning, this is what I saw

That's right. 6.25 inches of snow! Tonight we have 8 inches!

The snow did get me out of work because I didn't want to drive in it again! I was tramatized enough by the drive home last night. That's okay 'cause there was only two dogs there. The daycare will be closed tomorrow too. My boss is going out of town in the morning and she didn't want me risking my life for just a few dogs.

Later in the day I went for a walk because I always love seeing all the snow. It was fantastic! Here are some pictures from our adventure.
Here is my car covered with snow

Here is a picture of me and Oscar. Notice that the snow is up past his stomach.

We met two other people with dogs. I also took a picture of a horse in the snow.

Here is the creek

And of course Oscar absolutely loves the snow. He has so much fun, but he has to have layers on or else he gets too cold.
Here are a few more. In the first picture that is my breath showing up at the top. The other one is of a recycle can covered with snow. It's another shot of just how much we got.

When we got home I had to warm Oscar up because he was so cold ( it was like 24 degrees when we got home ).

1 comment:

mandamike said...

That's a lot of snow! Although Mike said you used a fake ruler :) Just kidding :) Have fun in the snow and stay warm!