Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas and New Year's

Christmas was great this year. I have been praying every year since I was about seven for a white Chrismas. It's always seen in movies, but rarely happens in Washington. This year, fourteen years later, my wish came true. On Christmas Day it snowed a lot. I was supposed to work that day, so the family opened presents early. We opened the last present at about 7:20 am. I then started getting myself ready to go to work and no more than five minutes later the power went out. I was glad to be going to work because there would be power there. As I was clearing the snow off my car, I heard the sound of tree limbs cracking. I realized that it was our neighbor's maple tree and the branches were going to fall from the weight of the snow. I let my family know about the tree and then headed off for work. Sadly, I only made it halfway because there was a truck spun out across both lanes of the main road. I had to turn around, go home, and then call work to tell them I would not be coming in that day. When I returned home I saw that a huge ( at least 12 feet long ) branch fell onto our house. I just wanted a little snow not two feet of the white stuff! It snowed again the next two days and we got a total of 3 feet!

On the 27th, I was on my way home from work when, just two blocks from my house, I tried to avoid hitting a car on the side of the road but instead found myself halfway in a ditch. I said a prayer in the car hoping to get home safely. No more than two minutes later, three members of a family that lived nearby came out of their house with shovels in hand. They shoveled the snow out from under my tires and then helped push me back onto the road. My prayers had been answered. I got help and made it home safely.

New Year's day was great. I stayed up until 2 am and had so much fun waiting for the new year. I can't believe that it's already 2009! I haven't decided what my resolution is this year. All the resolutions I have made over the last five years I have held onto. They range from not drinking any carbonated drinks to not eating out. Last year my resolution was to not eat any meat at all and now I want to stay vegetarian.

No comments: