Friday, May 20, 2011

In need of hugs and prayers

Yesterday when I changed the Guinea Pig cages I noticed a lump under Lilly's chin. It was hard to tell if it was a growth or just fat but I knew it was not normal. She would also scream when being touched so I knew she was in pain.

I called the vet up first thing this morning and was able to get in before work. The vet felt her and also checked everything else(temp., teeth, ears, skin, etc.). She could feel that 6 of her lymph nodes were enlarged (2 on her neck, 2 behind her front legs, and 2 under her back legs) and that usually means an infection. It could also mean cancer. I talked it over with the vet and we have a plan. To rule out an infection, she was put on an antibiotic for two weeks. The vet also put her on an anti-inflammatory for the pain she is in.

I was also told to, if I was able to, seperate her from her housemate Vanilla Bean. That way I could keep a close eye on her everyday and make sure she is still eating and pooping okay. I just hope that the other three piggies will get along together.

I need to make another appointment in 2 weeks for a follow up visit. If she has not gotten any better the vet will do an in-house diagnostic. They will put a needle in the lump and draw out fluid, then put it under a microscope. If the vet can see that is is not from a lymph node or salivary gland, it's most likely cancer. In which case she will most likely be euthanized because her pain will just get worse.

The other alternative would be to take the fluid sample and have it sent to a diagnostic lab where the people there can tell for sure if it is cancer or not. The only downside is the cost which is about $160. I just don't see why I should spend all that money when she is old, 5.5 years, and will be in pain anyway.

I've have been, and will continue, preparing for the worst. I know all things must die at some point in life but I didn't expect it would end this way. You really do get attached after 4.5 years together.

I am asking for prayers from all my friends. I really need them right now. I will keep everyone posted as the weeks go on. I now leave you with some pictures of Lilly.



No comments: