Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The last hour

As I sit her writing this, I can't help but remember all the good times I have had with Lilly. Yes, she could be stubborn sometimes and mean to the other girls, but she is mine forever.

I first saw her on Craigslist back in August of 2007. The parents had bought her for their daughter, who lost interest in Lilly after 1 year. I was looking for a companion for Ginger because he had been very depressed since my first Guinea Pig Zoe passed unexpectedly. From the moment our eyes met I knew she was mine. There was no doubt about it. Ginger fell in love with her instantly too, so I guess is really was meant to be.

She had lived be herself for the first year of her life, so she had to get used to living with a companion. The first week was a rough one. I didn't trust her with Ginger yet so they could only get playtime together. Lilly was NOT happy. She hated Ginger coming near her and would try to bite him. I wasn't sure if it was ever going to work out but I was not going to give up. After a week I finally put them in the cage together full time and it has worked out great. Those two have been stuck together like glue (mostly Ginger to Lilly).

About a year ago I got 2 female Skinny Pigs(hairless Guinea Pigs)So that they could become Lilly's new companions when Ginger died. He is getting old and I wanted her to get used to them while he was still alive. I never in my life thought it would be the other way around. Ginger just keeps going and going (much like the Energizer Bunny). Thankfully he will still have the girls by his side.

I am closing in on the last hour with my sweet little girl Lilly and I am brought to tears, both of joy and sadness. Joy because she will finally be going to heaven and will be in no more pain. She is going to wait for me there until that day when I will be with her once again. Sadness because I am going to miss her greatly. Every time I get up in the morning she always wanted me to give her food, but that will be no more.

I can hear her labored breathing and I know she is still alive, but only just. She is ready to be with her Heavenly Father again. She is ready to let go, but am I?

No comments: