Monday, January 9, 2012

Getting Braces

On Friday I had a consult with my orthodontist about doing braces on my teeth. This is after pictures and molds were taken of my teeth. Now, I have a lot to think about in the next few weeks.

Basically, I have two options. I can do just braces and I would have them on for 1.5 years. Then have to wear a retainer at night for the rest of my life. I also have to wear a night guard so I don't grind my teeth.

The other option (which the orthodontist said would be the most ideal) would be to have surgery on my jaw while having the braces on. In this case I would have the braces on for 2-2.5 years. The surgery would be to fix 3 problems I have with my jaw. They would raise my upper jaw, bring my bottom jaw forward (I have pretty good overbite), and fix my bottom jaw so it has more symmetry because right now one side is longer than the other.

The orthodontist has referred me to a good oral surgeon that she wants me to see before I decide which way to go. I think it all depends on if the dental or medical insurance will cover it. I hope it does get covered because I would love to get these problems fixed!

No comments: