Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Metabolism, Energy, and Envy

I am just like everyone else and I would say that my metabolism is about average. I can't say that I exercise a lot because I don't. I would like to start walking more and start running again, but that is all for another time. I also don't have as much energy as I would like to have. It might have something to do with the fact that I don't sleep very well. I'm lucky if I get though the day without needing a nap.

This brings me to Envy. I hate the word because it brings up negative feelings- just by hearing it. I hardly use it, but I feel I just need to right now. I have a confession to make. I, Kathryn, am envious of my dog and his metabolism, energy, and the fact that he knows how to sleep soundly. There, I said it. It seems kind of silly but I will explain.

Oscar's metabolism:

What can't I say about his eating. He eats A LOT! Oscar is only 26 lbs on average and eats about 3 cups of food a day. That's 1.5 cups twice daily with treats during the middle of the day. That is 2-3 times more than the average dog his size. One of the reasons he eats so much is his metabolism is very high. The other is his energy.

Oscar's Energy:

If I could use his energy to power my house, I would never have to pay for electricity. It's too bad I can't because that would be awesome! I just need to harness his energy and use it for something productive. This dog could play ball until he drops dead- luckily it hasn't come to that yet. I usually take him off leash on the Tolt Pipeline Trail at least once a day, play ball with him in the yard for an hour a day, and by the end of the day he still wants to play. I wish I had half as much energy as he does.

Oscar's sleep:

Oscar can sleep though anything. I wish I could sleep as well as he does. I will wake up to the slightest noise (a clock, guinea pigs drinking, the wind blowing, the heater going on, etc.) and any light will keep me awake so I have to wear an eye mask to be in complete darkness. To say the least- IT SUCKS! This is why Oscar is not allowed to sleep on my bed at night. First, his snoring WILL wake me up even if it's across the room (just not as bad). And, for those people who have not heard him snore, it is extremely loud. Sometime I feel like it could wake the dead. Second, his gas WILL keep me up. He can clear a room in less than 10 seconds when he lets one. They are very toxic to anyone that comes close (I advise you never to go into a room after he has farted). He also usually does the hit and run. He hits you with the smell and then runs for his life. Leaving you gagging and gasping for air. When he is is my bed he likes to face towards the foot of the bed. This means that my face is in the danger zone every time I sleep. It's not fun to wake up to the smell of something so putrid and vile.

Well, that's it. I know it's sad, but hey, everyone wishes for something at some point in their life. I guess I can only dream.

No comments: